06 July 2014

Little bits of history


So before there were pallets, there was just the house. Getting the house is a whole other post in itself, so we'll leave that for another time... Now I might be bias, but I think this place is pretty special. It's a three storey, four bedroom (well, now it's a three bedroom but we'll get to that later...) Victorian terrace with original sash windows, fireplaces, quarry tiled hallway, wooden floors and staircase, built in 1902 - and we're only the third owners, if you can believe that!

The last owner was kind enough to send me the coolest little package of history that he'd had stowed away. He was also looking to restore the place, but plans change and in the end it sat here with tenants in for a few years, and not much work being done.

Amongst a bunch of other documents in this package was a copy of the deeds from when the land was originally sold for development...





I've got to admit, I haven't read it all yet - it's pretty illegible in parts, but a great piece of history to have with the house. And if I'm not mistaken, it says the land sold for £46, with a stamp duty of £1.15, 178 years ago - and that's for a huge estate. I'm sure if Mr Bramley was about today he'd be pretty gobsmacked to hear what I paid for just one little house!

And while I'm sharing old pieces of loveliness... This next cheeky find came a bit later when we were reattaching the cast iron fire surround that had come away from the wall in the back bedroom. I saw a bit of card which must have been on the fireplace and fallen behind it as the gap between the fire surround and the wall started to get bigger. After a few attempts to fish it out, this is what I found...





The postcard, sent from Deal in 1966, reads;

Weather glorious, we are lucky with our week, been somewhere different every day. Will write when I get over my sore feet (don't usually write with them of course). Love from Pete, Bill & Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment